Terms of Let
Standard Terms & Conditions
“Castle” means [Craigston Castle, Turriff, AB53 5PX];
“Customer”, “you”, “your” as entered above;
“Our Website” means our website at [www.craigston-castle.co.uk];
“Owner”, “us”, “we” means [W P Urquhart]; and
“Tenants”, “you”, “your” means or refer to everyone in your party.
Whereas you mean to rent from us the Castle, the following terms and conditions will apply to your rental:-
1. Whether you offer to rent from us via Our Website, third party Websites, during a phone call, or by letter,
we will send you a booking summary by email to the address you provide. No contract shall be entered until we
have received cleared funds for the amount of your deposit payment and we have confirmed your booking in
writing by post or email.
2. By booking with us you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age and authorised to make the
booking on the basis of these Terms and Conditions by all Tenants.
3. You will be deemed to have confirmed that the details confirmed in our written confirmation of your
booking are correct unless you tell us of any errors within 3 working days of your receipt.
4. You will pay a non-refundable deposit of 50 % of the full rent at the time of booking. Payments by bank
transfer (electronic transfer) should be made out to: Craigston Castle Letting, Clydesdale Bank, Thainstone
Branch, Inverurie AB51 5WU, Scotland, the Sort Code is 82-66-00, and the IBAN GB95CLYD82660070015179.
If you are paying by cheque, you should make it payable to “William P Urquhart – Castle lettings”.
5. You may bring up to two (2) dog[s] with you, at a charge of £10 per dog per day (unless otherwise
agreed). You must tell us at the time of booking if you intend to bring dogs.
6. You should pay the balance of the full rental not later than twelve weeks before the start of your holiday,
or, if there is less than twelve weeks between the date of your booking and the start you must pay the full rent at
the time of booking.
7. Payment by credit card is, as yet, not available but will incur a bank charge of 2% of the full rent when
we are able to take these payments and which will be debited to your credit card.
8. If you do not make any payment by the due date then we will assume that you wish to cancel your
booking and we will be entitled to keep all sums paid by you to date. We will normally send a reminder before we
cancel your booking.
9. You must look after the Castle as though it were your own. We may ask for a security deposit of £500,
which, if requested, must be paid (in cash) before the start of your holiday. We will deduct the cost of any
damaged or missing items or exceptional cleaning from the security deposit and return the remainder to you. We
may also invoice the Customer for any replacements and additional costs incurred. You must leave the Castle in
a clean and tidy condition as set out in the information pack referred to in condition 12. The landlord reserves the
right to make deductions from your deposit in cases of excessive cleaning costs being incurred. Should you wish
to organise someone to clean for you please contact the managers at least one week in advance of arrival and
preferably at time of booking and this can be arranged for a fee.
Limitation of Liability
10. You accept that our maximum liability to you on any grounds whatsoever is the amount you have paid
us prior to such liability arising, save for personal injury or death caused through our negligence.
Check In / Check Out
11. You may check in any time after 4pm and before 8pm on the day your holiday starts (or earlier if prior
arrangements have been made with us). You must check out any time before 10am on your last day unless prior
arrangements have been made with us. When booking please let us know your estimated time of arrival. Upon,
or before, arrival please call Claus and Barbara Perch (01888551707 – English, Danish, French, German and
Polish speaking) who will meet you at the property to complete the check in. Please note that, at least a day
before your arrival, you are required to confirm to us your estimated TIME of arrival. Please also note that
if you are delayed we would really appreciate it if you could also telephone to advise how long you
estimate you will be delayed.
12. We will leave in the Castle an information pack of useful information about the Castle and the proper
operation of the specific facilities and services provided. As some of our facilities (including the Castle’s heating
and waste disposal services) may not be familiar to you, you must read it on arrival and comply with the user
conditions in it. You will be provided instructions on how to operate the various appliances (kitchen cooker, Aga,
Oven etc), WI-FI connection (password), satellite TV etc. A family member will be available at most times so
please ask us if you are unclear on how things work. Upon arrival you will be shown around the Castle and
advised which areas are not open for use.
13. You must leave the Castle at the termination of the agreed period of hire.
Property Care and Visitor Obligations
14. You must procure that nobody smokes in the Castle other than in designated areas. We will make a
surcharge for cleaning fabrics if this condition is broken.
15. You must not leave dogs unaccompanied in the Castle.
16. The number of Tenants should not exceed that specified on your booking form.
17. You must tell us of any damaged items you find immediately on arrival. Non compliance with this will
result in immediate termination of the letting agreement with no refund.
18. You will allow us to enter the all parts of the Castle at any reasonable time (except in the case of
emergency, when you must afford access forthwith) to inspect and repair the Castle and its contents.
19. You acknowledge that the Castle is to be used for the purposes of a holiday let in terms of which
Section 12(2) and paragraph 8 of Schedule 4 of the Housing (Scotland) Act 1988 apply. Your booking confers a
right to occupy the accommodation for the agreed period only.
20. You shall not sub-let the Castle or any part thereof.
21. You will procure that the Tenants will not cause a nuisance or disturbance in or around the Castle. In the
event of a breach of this condition we may require you to vacate the Castle forthwith on demand without payment
of compensation to you.
22. Under no circumstances, unless an emergency, should outbound telephone calls be attempted from the
castle’s landline (incoming calls can be taken on it 01888551228).
23. Under no circumstances should pay-per-view movies (etc) be ordered through the cable provider.
24. In the unlikely event of power cuts or problems with water and septic tanks, during your stay with us we
will use our reasonable endeavours to procure their early resolution on receiving notice thereof. However, for the
avoidance of doubt, you accept that as the extent of our liability.
25. You must ensure that the Castle and your vehicles are left secure. We do not accept responsibility for
26. You must ensure that your vehicles are parked so as not to obstruct roads, tracks or paths.
27. We will provide: (a) Use of linen and towels; (b) Crockery, pots, pans, glasses and cutlery; (c) a
reasonable quantity of appropriate fuel for cooking, heating, etc for your stay.
28. Your booking is accepted on the understanding that the Castle will be put at your disposal on the date
agreed with us. Should this not be possible due to circumstances beyond our reasonable control we will return to
you the payments you have made in full and you will have no further claim against us.
Cancellation by the Customer
29. You may cancel your booking within seven working days of your receipt of our written confirmation (and
provided that there are at least 28 days before your reservation start date) referred to in condition 1. If you do so,
we will return your deposit in full.
30. If you cancel thereafter, we will attempt to re-let the Castle, although we make no guarantee that we will
be able to do so. If we are unable to re-let the Castle you shall remain liable for the full rent due. If we do re-let
the Castle, we will only retain the deposit and we will repay to you any balance held by us. We do however
advise you to take out your own holiday insurance cover to provide for this if you have to cancel.
31. You must intimate any cancellation to us in writing.
Variation by the Owner
32. We will contact you by telephone, where reasonably possible, in the case of a significant change or
cancellation, and by post/email, where they are minor, as soon as is reasonably practical, and explain what has
happened, and inform you of any change or cancellation.
33. If we have to make a significant change (and the change is not acceptable to you) or of we have to
cancel your booking you will receive a full refund. In the unlikely event that you fail to tell us as soon as
reasonably possible that you wish to accept any change, we will be entitled to assume you wish to cancel your
booking and receive a full refund.
Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977
34. In any case where any part of these terms and conditions is determined by any court to be
unenforceable, the unenforceable provision shall not affect the validity of the remaining portion of these terms
and conditions, which shall remain in force as if the unenforceable provision had been eliminated.
35. We have taken every care to ensure that the accuracy of our website (www.craigston-castle.co.uk) and
other publicity materials and all information is provided in good faith and is believed to be correct, but it does not
form part of the contract between the Owner and the Customer.
36. This agreement will be governed by and interpreted in accordance with the law of Scotland.
37. Thank you for booking with us and we hope you have a great stay! Should you have any problems
whatsoever please do not hesitate to contact us (firstname.lastname@example.org, 0044 (0) 1888 551707) and we will do our
best to help you.